The multitude of events tracked within this system allows us to compare almost any player metric against the value of a replacement player. This post will focus on each Montreal Canadiens player's offensive-zone LOOSE-PUCK-RECOVERY impact above/below replacement.
This post is the third in a series where I'll be using specific
offensive-zone metrics to communicate players' values above
"Offensive-zone loose-puck-recovery impact above replacement" is used to compare
the number of successful loose-puck-recoveries each player produced in the offensive-zone at
EVEN-STRENGTH per-minute played with the number of LPR's contributed by an average player at the same position. The higher
the individual player's result versus a replacement player, the more
often that player was able to acquire possession for his team in the offensive-zone by way of a loose-puck-recovery.
A loose-puck recovery in the offensive-zone occurs when a player gains control of a puck that was (at the time of acquiring possession) not in the possession of any other player on the ice.
OZLPRI-above replacement is calculated by subtracting the number of
successful loose-puck recoveries an average player at a specific position
(centre/defenseman/winger) averaged per-minute of ice-time from the
number of LPR's per-minute the player in question averaged.
OZLPRI-above replacement value are important to remember when looking at players expected goal and expected shot values above replacement. EGV and ESV calculate a player's ability to create offense once in possession of the puck, but LPR's and forechecking also contribute to a team's ability to create offense.
This post uses data from all of the Montreal Canadiens 2013-14 regular season and 2014 playoff games.
- WHAT IS BOUCHER SCOUTING?
- COMBINING CORSI AND SCORING-CHANCES
- IMPACT OF RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- IMPACT OF N-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- QUALCOM ADJUSTED RATINGS
- IMPACT OF D-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- D-ZONE TENDENCIES AND TURNOVER-RATES
- D-ZONE PASSING
- D-ZONE LOOSE-PUCK RECOVERIES
- D-ZONE STICK & BODY-CHECKS
- IMPACT OF O-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- O-ZONE TENDENCIES AND TURNOVER-RATES
- O-ZONE LOOSE-PUCK RECOVERIES
- O-ZONE PASSING
- O-ZONE STICK AND BODY-CHECKS
- POSSESSION RATINGS
- O AND D TOUCHES IN O-ZONE
- O AND D TOUCHES IN D-ZONE
- QUANTIFYING DISCIPLINE
- SHOOTING SUCCESS-RATES (ES)
- OBSTRUCTION PENALTIES DRAWN
- GOALIE REPORTS
- HABS 2010-11
- HABS 2011-12
- SUBBAN 2012-13 (PLAYER FILE EXAMPLE)