A team's ability to create scoring-chances is directly tied to the amount of time they spend in the offensive-zone. This post will focus on amount of "time" the each Montreal Canadiens player spent with possession of the puck in the offensive-zone. "Time" in this context is represented by the percentage of overall events each player engaged in with possession of the puck in the offensive-zone. A list of all the events tracked within my system can be found here.
In games where the Montreal Canadiens created more even-strength scoring-chances than they gave up they engaged in 32.1% of their overall ES events with possession of the puck in the offensive-zone. To contrast that, in games where they were out-chanced by the opposition they engaged in 25.6% of their overall ES events with possession in the o-zone.
Using scoring-chances, rather than wins and losses when comparing percentages allows us to remove the noise of goaltending, powerplays, and penalty-kills; as each of those 3 aspects directly impact the game's result. Scoring-chances, on the other hand are influenced solely by the skaters on the ice. That said, during game the Habs won, they engaged in 29.7% of their overall events with puck-possession in the offensive-zone.; when they lost that percentage dropped to 25.8%.
PK Subban led all Habs defensemen, as he engaged in 18.1% of his overall events with possession of the puck in the offensive-zone. Other defensemen with high percentages include; Nathan Beaulieu and Andrei Markov. Mike Weaver engaged in the lowest percentage of his overall events with possession of the puck in the offensive-zone.
Among centres, David Desharnais had the top percentage in this category, while Ryan White produced the lowest percentage. Rene Bourque, Thomas Vanek, and Max Pacioretty produced the top percentages among wingers, while George Parros and Travis Moen produced the lowest percentages.
Not surprisingly, Vanek, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Beaulieu, Markov and Subban were also among the team leaders in scoring-chances created per-60.
- WHAT IS BOUCHER SCOUTING?
- COMBINING CORSI AND SCORING-CHANCES
- IMPACT OF RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- IMPACT OF N-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- QUALCOM ADJUSTED RATINGS
- IMPACT OF D-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- D-ZONE TENDENCIES AND TURNOVER-RATES
- D-ZONE PASSING
- D-ZONE LOOSE-PUCK RECOVERIES
- D-ZONE STICK & BODY-CHECKS
- IMPACT OF O-ZONE RATINGS ON SCORING-CHANCES
- O-ZONE TENDENCIES AND TURNOVER-RATES
- O-ZONE LOOSE-PUCK RECOVERIES
- O-ZONE PASSING
- O-ZONE STICK AND BODY-CHECKS
- POSSESSION RATINGS
- O AND D TOUCHES IN O-ZONE
- O AND D TOUCHES IN D-ZONE
- QUANTIFYING DISCIPLINE
- SHOOTING SUCCESS-RATES (ES)
- OBSTRUCTION PENALTIES DRAWN
- GOALIE REPORTS
- HABS 2010-11
- HABS 2011-12
- SUBBAN 2012-13 (PLAYER FILE EXAMPLE)